And so it begins...

Monday, December 7, 2009

Dumped

I didn't think there would be anything worse than my man-cub being lured out of the jungle by a she-wolf, I really didn't. The axis of our happy home has shifted irreversibly. We can never go back to our own little unit...we've been invaded. I thought we'd hit rock bottom, our relationship ruined in a fit of cologne and hair gel and smooching. That's right, he's been smooching, I have it on good authority. His brother told on him...apparently he's been smooching in the bus loop. Which anybody whose anybody knows is just not done in polite society. The thing is, I don't know why I asked if he was smooching. I thought I'd want to know. This is a rite of passage after all, and I'm all about being there for their rites of passages. So this shouldn't have been any different than, say, losing that first tooth or the first time he peed on the toilet.

Well it was. Very different. First of all, my little man cub all but tore his brother's face off when he found out he was outed. Now he refuses to talk about said girlfriend. She is protected territory. He is the head of his lion pride and she is his...God, I can't even say it. I think I've been kicked out of the pride, just like Simba.

So like I said, things were pretty awful. Another queen in my castle and all that. But now...something worse has happened. Something I thought might make me secretly happy, truth be told. The thing is - the she-wolf ditched my man cub. They had a 'date' (choke, gasp, cough) this weekend. My man-cub got up nice and early - so before noon - showered and dressed. Called the she-wolf. No answer. Called her again. No answer. All day....no answer. He didn't say a word - she's still protected space after all - but I would have torn that little @#$! to shreds if I could. How dare she?!! What - does she think she's too good for my man cub? Has she lost her mind?

And why oh why was he so accepting of her behaviour? Why doesn't he think he deserves to be treated with more respect? How does he think he deserves to be treated? His dad and I both treat him with care and consideration, I think...he knows he gets to be treated well, right? And why oh why won't he talk to me about any of this?

Maybe the answer is simple. Maybe she's pretty and makes him feel good. And maybe this is something he needs to figure out on his own. And maybe - just maybe - she isn't as bad as all that. She called him Sunday to say she was sorry. Which was sweet, and from what I gather, heartfelt.

I hope he raked her over the coals though. And I hope he refuses to smooch with her for at least a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment